RIDE HOME RECIPE: Crockpot Tamale Casserole!
We mentioned this on the show earlier this week, can’t believe I hadn’t posted this sooner for you!
Guaranteed to be a spectacular meal for any occasion:
1 pound ground beef or turkey
1 pound chorizo sausage
1 14-oz can of diced tomatoes, Mexican-style
2 cans of corn (drained)
1 can of green chiles
1 tbsp seasoning salt
1 package taco seasoning mix
1 diced jalapeno (optional for extra heat)
1 1/4 cup milk
1 egg, well beaten
3/4 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup grated cheese (Jack & Cheddar or Mexican mix)
1. Brown meat together, drain most of the fat but keep some for flavor.
2. Pre-mix egg, milk & cornmeal
3. Except for egg mix and the cheese, combine all other items into
the crockpot and stir together well
4. Pour egg-milk-cornmeal mix on top
5. Cook 5-6 hours on high or 10-12 hours on low
6. 5-10 min before serving, cover the top with the grated cheese
(Jill’s additional adaptations: sometimes I add 2 cans of tomatoes instead of one. Also, I once added a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and it was amazing … very hot though!)