After Chicagoans Mike and Mariann Stanton’s four-year-old little boy Danny passed away after having a seizure, they started the Danny Did Foundation whose mission is to prevent deaths caused by seizures. This problem affects 3 million people in the U.S., and one in 26 Americans will develop Epilepsy over their lifetimes.
Tom Stanton, Executive Director and uncle of Danny, checks in with us today to explain how the Foundation explores technological advancements that can help prevent seizures, and conducts research to better understand seizures. Plus, why is it so important for friends and family members to know what to do when a loved one seizes? Here’s a list of great tips to ensure the safety of your loved ones prone to having seizures.
The Danny Did Foundation has quite a few great events coming up, including:
- CHICAGO FIRE SOCCER GAME on May 18th- Come out to Toyota Park in Bridgeview. To purchase tickets click here. Partial proceeds will benefit the Foundation’s cause.
- BOUNCE OUT THE STIGMA BASKETBALL CLINIC with the Epilepsy Foundation of Greater Chicago on June 23rd, 24th, and 25th- Kids ages 8 – 18 and their friends and family are welcome to attend this free 3-day basketball camp at De La Salle Institute of Chicago, 3434 S. Michigan Avenue in Chicago. Register by Friday, June 13th here.
Later, I take you Around Chicagoland for these great events:
- MOTHER’S DAY BRUNCH at Brookfield Zoo- TODAY at 11:00 AM and 1:30 PM. Register at BrookfieldZoo.org.
- KITTEN SHOWER benefiting the Anti-Cruelty Society- starts today, 5/11 and goes through Sunday 5/18. Make a purchase from their registry here and donate to the Anti-Cruelty Society. Mail them to: 157 W. Grand Ave., Chicago, IL 60654; drop them off in person at: 510 N. LaSalle, Chicago, IL 60654 between 9:00 AM and 7:00 PM. Details at anticruelty.org.
- PAGING DR. LOVE at the Laugh Factory- The search is on for Chicago’s funniest health care provider on May 20th at 8:00 PM. Proceeds benefit Project HUGS, providing patients with support and connections to the surgical resources they need. Get tickets at laughfactory.com.
- GROWING HOME DINNER & AUCTION at Salvage One- May 20th from 5:30 to 9:30 PM. Enjoy food, music, and drinks all in support of Growing Home’s mission to operate, promote, and demonstrate the use of organic agriculture. Learn more at growinghomeinc.org.
Listen to this week’s full episode below.
Weekend Journal airs Sunday mornings at 6:30 on US99.5.